SUNDAY, APRIL 14th, 2013 WEIGH IN: 310lbs
My countdown to September 14th, 2013 has begun. This is the day that I will be meeting Manu Bennett in Cincinnati, and will fulfill a dream of mine to actually MEET him in person. I’m not a freak, stalker, or an overzealous fan – I’m just excited. Manu has become the “carrot” dangling in front of me to get my health back to where it needs to be, and because of that I have 21 weeks to get myself together. Can it be done?
Last week I had a meeting with my Doctor, who stated that I had the ability to cut out 500lb calories out of my diet, and with that loose more than one pound a week. I am, until my bloodwork returns, not allowed to exercise a lot. However I have decided to push myself and go for it anyway. I’ll start small, and work my way up – after all, I am strong. Here is why, for those of you who want to know what health issues I am facing: 1. Extremely high blood pressure. 2. I have already had one mild stroke, suffering no damage other than the bleed itself. 3. 20% blockage in my heart. 4. Type 2 Diabetic. Most all of these can be overcome or BEATEN with proper health management and weight loss, and unless I change ONE or all of these things will kill me. I’m still waiting back from the tests from the Doctor to tell me if there has been any kidney damage, so keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
My diet has been piss poor, and I have mentioned this before. However that is over, I am keeping my daily caloric intake low, and the calories that I burn higher. This will insure that I loose all this weight, and that also means a lot of water. WATER. So this is day one, and we will be making progress together my readers - because I want to look amazing when I meet Manu Bennett, not for him per say, but for myself. One should not meet their hero looking anything less than their best.
THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS…. I added a countdown timer to the left of the page, and so….. let’s begin the fight.
BE HERE NOW,
Jake A. Wheat
Taking life for granted is easy to do, when you feel like life is wanting to be taken for granted. ”I’m overworked, so fuck it I’ll just ……,” I say. Yeah, insert anything you want in the dots, and you will find that it’s appropriate.
I have decided to make an incredible life change which starts today, recognizing that I have let myself go beyond belief, with no excuse but to fix it or end up dead. End of story. Here is the truth, from me, quite honestly – and nothing anyone can say can change it, and if you comment or judge me on it – then your a dickhead.
1. My addition to food: I have a food addiction, it’s horrible. I am never full, and shovel in food when I am stressed out as a coping mechanism. I enjoy flavors, and most importantly, bulk. I frequent fast food, and order enough food for two or three people, eat, and then suffer or eat more later in the day. There are times where I will eat so much, that I have to throw it up, because it upsets my stomach.
A typical order for me at Taco Bell is not only memorized, but all too common: I get a #9 combo (three tacos), with a large Pepsi for the drink. I order TWO extra hardshell tacos, a seven layer burrito with extra guacamole, and then a Mexican pizza. In all, that is 2,400 calories in ONE meal. It gets much worse, as a sitting at Wendy’s can equal a DOUBLE cheeseburger, large fry, large drink, and ANOTHER single hamburger – which exceeds the daily intake of calories one should have period. Additional stress to my body is added when I stop off to get candy bars, chocolate milk, and other items which I gorge on often before I get OUT OF THE GAS STATION from which I purchased them. If I continue this route, I am going to die.
I also smoke, heavily. I smoke either Camel Menthol or Marboro Menthol and when I smoke it’s usually in a chain of three or four cigarettes. I do not smoke a lot at home, but rather at work on break, or TO or FROM work in the car - one right after the other. I smoke until my lungs hurt, and often during the day I will not eat – and so when I smoke, I smoke too much causing myself to gag and then I end up dry heaving, wanting to vomit – and either I do or I just dry heave until it stops. If I continue this route, I am going to die.
I have been to the medical clinic twice now due to being sick, and both times my blood pressure was so high the clinic wanted me to go to the Emergency Room of our local hospital because I was “above stroke level,” and yet – here I am 300lbs, eating like I have a tapeworm, and smoking like a yellow haired compulsive dobbing paper in a bingo hall. I AM AN IDIOT, and if I continue this route I am going to die soon.
So one sets goals at this point of reflection, and says to oneself – SELF – you’re a fucking idiot. If you don’t change your ways, your body is going to give out, and you are going to kick the fucking bucket. Again, so one sets goals, and here are mine. However, goals have a purpose and one must MUST dangle a carrot in front of one’s face in order to obtain those goals – or else there is no motive, other than self gratification, and since I have a food addition – I need something other than self gratification to make me full and whole. I need something else, something to work toward, something tangible. So here is my game plan:
1. FUCK THE WORLD. Yep, no more investing time in other people’s crazy agendas being the good guy. I’m going full self centered and in my own head space for now. You got a problem, then work it out – I will be working on my own shit. That is the first major change, because I rush to the aide of people like I am a superhero – not sleeping, making personal sacrifices and expending myself short of ME time in the process. That is over, YOUR problems are NOT my problems. Sorry. [Repair Mode Activated]
2. Healthy Food Only. If it doesn’t grow from the Earth, it doesn’t need to go in my mouth. Yeah, that pretty much eliminates ALL fast food, all processed foods, all things neon orange and cheesy, and anything else for that matter. If you can’t squeeze it from a fruit, it shouldn’t be in liquid form in a cup. Green teas, water, or herbal teas will be my new beverages of choice. I will also have TWO vitamin infused drinks a day, and will drink EIGHT glasses of water – EIGHT mandatory glasses as well.
3. 30 minutes MINIMUM of exercise a day. Yep, we have a huge park and a walking trail not minutes from my house, so use it. 30 minutes walking will do me good each day, and it will be either in the AM before work, or at night.
4. NONE OF THE FOLLOWING IS ALLOWED: Cigarettes, cola, fast food, processed food, SECOND HAND SMOKE, foods high in sugars, starches, or heavy carbs.
5. THE FOLLOWING IS MANDATORY: EIGHT glasses of water, TWO vitamin infused drinks a day, and my alternatives are herbal teas – cold or hot. ONE healthy breakfast, ONE healthy lunch, ONE healthy dinner, and ONE healthy snack. NO CANDY, COOKIES, ICE CREAM, GUMMY BEARS, WORLDS LARGEST GUMMY BEARS, etc.
6. WEIGHT LOSS: Your goal is 50+ lbs by SEPTEMBER 1st, 2013. THIS is because on September 14th, I will be going to Cincinnati to meet Manu Bennet. This is my reward, my goal, what I am working towards. If I don’t make the commitment and stick to it, then I fail myself, my trip, and meeting my favorite actor. It’s a fair way to discipline and regulate myself.
If you are reading this, and you have something NEGATIVE to say to me, don’t. I don’t want to hear your mouth about my confession here, after all I wrote it out there and you read it – so I already know how self destructive I have been to myself. THIS IS NOT A PICNIC FOR ME… but change is. If you want to say something positive or encouraging, then feel free. The only thing left for me to say is that I am excited, very excited for change – personal change, because if not then I AM GOING TO DIE.
I’m not quite ready to die yet, even though I am a dumbass.
Jake A. Wheat
Everyone knows I am a Manu Bennett fan, which started from Episode 1, of Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Starz. Manu has just wrapped up the final season of Spartacus, and is also “appearing” in Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit.” Yeah, Manu is making his dreams come true, and a billion Manu Fans can’t be wrong eigh?
I asked to meet Manu Bennett for my Birthday last year so he could be my personal trainer, but I decided to make it easier for and just wished that Manu Bennett would friend me on his personal Facebook page. My Birthday wish was not granted (yet), or maybe some cosmic birthday candle blowing miracle was set in motion that day, and planets began to align causing a paradigm shift in the Universe that ultimately led to what I am about to share with you… either way, Manu Bennett is a very kind man.
WELLLL……as wishes happen….. it turns out not too long ago Manu did friend me on his personal Facebook page with other fans, and I have even chatted with him which makes me feel VERY special.
Now, for the absolute cool part…. Manu Bennett and I video Skyped for 20+ minutes after he learned that I donated to a fund raiser he was doing for New Zealand’s Breast Cancer Foundation. His noble effort to raise money for breast cancer was worth every penny, because not only is Manu Bennett an incredible actor, but he is very down to Earth and a real genuine humanitarian. His “team” The Eleventh Waka (a collective effort of fans kicked @ss donating and surpassing their goal and raising $15,000 bucks! Of course, “The Eleventh Waka” was the TOP FUNDRAISER! HELLZ YEAH!
Back to my Skype with Manu… he was in chat, I was in chat, and I just wanted to say hi. Instead, Manu wanted to thank me personally for my donation, and to sit and chat a bit. My Partner Craig was there for moral support, because I was 1000x nervous, and I have not forgotten that moment since it happened. The other day my Partner told me that he was going to wait until Christmas to share this with me, but the reason he sat with me during my video Skype session with Manu Bennett was because he recorded it on his iPhone, so that I could treasure it forever. I didn’t know he was recording, but he did it as a Christmas gift to me, because he knows how big of a Manu Bennett fan I am!
Isn’t this the COOLEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER?!
Seriously, could you ask for a more supportive and awesome partner?! So, yes, I have the Skype session recorded and while I would love to share the entire 20 minutes of it… I don’t want anyone to see me being in a state of awe and shock. So I edited it a bit, and you can see the highlights of our conversation. We also talked about some personal stuff, which I don’t want to put out to the World, so I just captured the highlights of the Skype to share with people in hopes that you will do the following:
1. Make my Christmas wish come true by donating to fight breast cancer.
2. Realize that dreams do come true, even “meeting” your favorite actor!
3. Understand that all of us on this planet are people, and the more we interact, the more we grow.
If Manu reads this article, just know that THAT MOMENT meant the World to me, more than anything – and I still am waiting for your agent’s address to send you a care package from Louisville. It’s sitting here waiting for you.
Ok, here is the video highlights:
I did not include the whole video, some of it was what I consider to be personal and I felt it best to be left out. However, I want Manu to know that this was, by far, the HIGHLIGHT of my year – life – and I will never forget this conversation ever. He is truly a genuine man, and I am so proud of his achievements.
Jake A. Wheat
I have been thinking about this for a while, and finally decided to be pro-active and move forward. It’s an act of bravery for me really, and frankly if I am rejected I will be heartbroken. Manu Bennett is one of my – no – he IS my favorite Actor and Spartacus on Starz has been something that I have supported since it’s first episode. I am not a new fan, I was there the night it first aired on the edge of my seat and just awestruck by the show! From there, I got the DVD’s, the Manu Bennett autographed card, and even won a sweepstakes on Starz where they sent me some free Starz stuff.
I order, and wear faithfully my “I love Crixus” T-Shirt, and I even have myself immortalized (as a cartoon bean) wearing the shirt which causes my friends to giggle. I’m not lying, here is the pic of me as a bean wearing my Crixus shirt to prove it!
Yes, I am a DIE HARD Crixus fan, sue me. So, without hesitation, I emailed Starz today and asked them if there would be a way that I could do an email interview with Manu Bennett. I am certain a phone interview would be out of the question, but I have a lot of real questions for the actor that I would like answered. He is a fascinating man, and I want to be able to “virtually” sit down with him and get to know him better.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Do you think Starz should allow Jake Wheat to interview Manu Bennett?
Hopefully Starz will hear my plea, and make this happen! Please everyone cross your fingers!
Make My Wish Come True,
Jake A. Wheat